Dec 06 2016
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
NOVEMBER 3, 2016
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The November 3, 2016 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections to the October minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- LOIT Special Distribution – No Update.
- NS Fund 2016 Grant – We have received a check for $500 from the Hendricks County Community Foundation. We are looking into using this money (with a matching grant from the Town) to purchase an electronic sign for the Town Hall.
- NEW ITEMS:
- NS Fund Grant Application – Mike S. met with Bill Rhodehamel of the Hendricks County Community Foundation and together they revised the grant application for next year. Mike S. presented the revised form to the Council and it was approved
- Hoosier Broadband – We received a proposal from Hoosier Broadband requesting that they be allowed to place a repeater somewhere on our water tower. Mike S. researched the company on line and found numerous complaints against this company. It was decided that the Board would not approve this request. Our current internet provider is CenturyLink and they have been upgrading their system and lines here over the past few months.
- Trick or Treat – Everything seemed to go smoothly this year; great weather; both the Christian Church and Methodist Church had great turn out for their events; no complaints.
- Ham and Bean Fund Raiser – All is in place for this year’s event November 5th; Mike S. and Rebecca have received donations for door prizes as well as donations from town businesses to support the North Salem Fund.
- Christmas 2016 – Beth will again host the town Christmas party this year. It will be again be a pitch in and will immediately follow the December meeting.
- Mark – wasn’t present but Kevin Basham, Town Assistant reported that they have been winterizing town buildings and will be sealing the sidewalks down town next week. They will also be doing some painting and Mark is getting bids on snow plows and parts.
- NSPD – for the record, Mike S. presented the NSPD report for the month of October. John also reported that he had the windows tinted on the truck.
- Council – Rebecca reported that after the first of the year she and Beth will be working on getting a volunteer board together so North Salem can become an Indiana Main Street Community. There are certain criteria that must be met in order to become a certified Main Street Community. Once you are certified, this opens the door for access to many grants available for improvements to your town. Rebecca also reported a couple of street lights that were out. She also reported that shred day was very well attended and that we should offer this service every year. In addition, Rebecca stated that she was able to get in touch with her contact at INDOT and get the name and contact information for street signage and passed this along to Paul Minor with McCloud Nature Park. Rebecca will also be measuring and assessing the sidewalks in town to create our Sidewalk Asset Management Plan.
- Harold Blake – asked if we had a current contract for Ray’s Trash; we do not and have not had one for a few years. Harold suggested we send a letter to Ray’s thanking them for their service over the years.
- Clerk-Treasurer – no report.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:49 pm. The next Council Meeting will be December 1st at 6:00 pm.