Feb 03 2017
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
JANUARY 5, 2017
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The January 5, 2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council Vice President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca asked if there were any additions or corrections to the December minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- ELECTION OF OFFICERS:
Mike R. nominated Rebecca for Council President; Jimmy seconded; Rebecca accepted; motion passed unanimously. Jimmy nominated Mike R. for Council Vice President; Rebecca seconded; Mike accepted; motion passed unanimously.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Special Distribution SEA funds – Mark hopes to have at least three bids by the February meeting with work to begin in the spring. Mark also noted that the North end of Nebraska will need to be widened and the property owner affected has already given his permission to do whatever we need to do.
- Indiana Main Streets Program – Rebecca stated that Coatesville went through the process of becoming a Main Street Community and offered to meet with us to explain the process. An informal meeting was set for January 24th at 6:00 pm in the Town Hall.
- Sidewalk Assessment Update – Rebecca reported that she has finished State Road 236 and Nebraska Street (North and South).
- Computer Update – Beth reported that the new computer has been installed. The tape recorder has stopped working so Rebecca suggested we look further into digital recording options.
- NEW ITEMS:
- Introduction of New Council Member – Rebecca introduce newly elected Council Member Jimmy Roberts.
- Mark – reported that he picked up the new mower and trailer the end of last month. The new snow plow mount has not been put on the truck yet but Mark hopes to have it done soon.
- NSPD – Harold Blake had a swearing in ceremony for Marshal Berry for 2017; he stated that this is something that will need to be done at each January meeting. For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of December. In addition, Marshal Berry stated that former deputy Josh Butler is now full time on the Danville Police Department and had to cut all ties with North Salem.
- Council – Jimmy would like to begin all future meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance and also a prayer; After a brief discussion all Council agreed that this would be added to the agenda and begin with the February meeting. Rebecca asked about some debris in some areas around Town (tires, metal, wood, etc.). This stuff needs to be removed. Both Mark and Marshal Berry to take a look at it; Beth will also email the County Building and Zoning Department. Rebecca also asked about moving the Public to the top of the agenda. After some discussion, it was decided to leave Public as last on the agenda and Rebecca can make exceptions at her discretion.
- Harold Blake – no report.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth distributed the annual nepotism forms to each Council member; Harold also mentioned there should be an annual conflict of interest form as required by the State Board of Accounts. Both Harold and Beth will research and report at the February meeting.
There was a question regarding sidewalks and Rebecca explained what our plans were for the future with regard to the sidewalk assessment.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:38 pm. The next Council Meeting will be February 2nd at 6:00 pm.