Mar 03 2016
FEBRUARY 4, 2016
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The February 4, 2016 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections to the January Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved unanimously as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Equipment for Digital Recording – We have the equipment; Mike S. will work on getting it up and running on the laptop computer donated by Council Member Rebecca Compton.
- Monitoring Water Tower, Update – our equipment has been installed and tested. It is now up and running.
- Eggers Alley Poles – Mark again contacted Centurylink but they have not gotten back with him yet.
- Utility Rate Ordinance, 1st Reading – Ordinance 2016-1 was introduced setting the Water Meter Surcharge of $2.00 and the Waste Disposal Fee Surcharge of $3.00. These surcharges are set to begin with April’s billing. There being no questions, Rebecca made a motion to pass as written; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. A second reading will occur at March’s Council meeting.
- Unsafe Buildings, Clean Ups and Abandon Properties – Council Members Rebecca and Mike S., along with Marshal Berry and Mark Basham toured the town last month and compiled a list of properties in question. Harold explained the differences in the current ordinances regarding weeds and rank vegetation and public nuisances. After some discussion, it was decided to forward this list to the County for inspection.
- NEW ITEMS:
- Multi Hazard Mitigation Report (January 13th meeting) – it was discovered that this was an organization meeting only and it was not necessary that we attend. We hope to have more information for the March Council meeting.
- Health by Design – Jessica Latus and Kim Irwin were in attendance to discuss their “Complete Streets” program. They presented a power point presentation outlining the various aspects of their program and the different options that could be available to us. Before beginning anything, it was suggested that we perform an “audit” of the sidewalks throughout town to see how much infrastructure we have and where the most needed repairs/replacements are needed.
February 4, 2016 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
IACT Legislative Day – February 17th – Mike S. asked if anyone was interested in attending this session. At this time, no one is available to attend but information is usually distributed to us by State Representative Jeff Thompson.
- Mark – reported that he will be getting quotes on replacing the brick sidewalks from Main Street to Broadway Street. He thinks that he can get this work done in around eight days by doing 60 ft. sections at a time. He wants to remove the brick and replace with red concrete and then “stamp” to look like bricks. He will try to get at least three estimates. Mike S. suggested Charlie Fish Cement for an estimate. He also reported that he still has not found the leak and hopes it will present itself soon. Also, we have Warren Moreland’s truck and we are still waiting for the title work.
- NSPD – for the record, Mike S. presented the NSPD report for the month of January. Marshal Berry also reported that the Governing Board for the Communications Center has suspended payments for the Communications Center at this time. He also reported that Eric Wathen would like to be put on the Agenda for our March meeting to discuss our Small Town Representative. In addition, Marshal Berry reported that very soon his radio will have to be replaced and will cost around $5,000 with a maintenance agreement costing $200 per year.
- Rebecca asked if we were going to have a heavy trash pickup this spring. Mark has set the date for the last Tuesday in April for curbside heavy trash pickup. We will begin sending notices in this month’s water bills.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth presented the Council with an estimate for new Christmas decorations for our light poles as well as new welcome banners. Rebecca made a motion to approve this purchase; Mike R. seconded.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:24 pm. The next Council Meeting will be March 3, 2016 at 6:00 pm.