Aug 08 2014
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
JULY 3, 2014
CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The July 3, 2014 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:01 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the June 2014 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Water Pressure System for School – No Update.
- Utility Rates – No Update.
- NS Park Signs – Rebecca presented a very rough “rendering” of a possible sign. She will continue to work on this and have updates at future meetings.
- Police Electronic Communications – No Update.
- Salary Ordinance – tabled until August meeting.
- Wastewater Tree Limb Pile – Notices were sent in water bills last month stating that it would no longer be available to residents. Mark and Doug will burn what is out there in the next few weeks and then it will be closed permanently.
- 5. NEW ITEMS:
- Tree Maintenance – Rebecca stated that we have many dead trees around town and asked whose responsibility they are. Mark said that it depends on where they are; so many feet from the center of the road, etc. She also stated that there were many limbs from the most recent storms. Mark said if they pile them up close to the street they will pick them up.
- Old Fashion Days – Rodger Ward was in attendance representing Old Fashion Days. They are looking to have a zip line during the festival this year. Town Attorney Harold Blake drafted and presented Rodger with a “Release of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement” that will need to be signed and returned to the Council by August 7, 2014, if they wish to have a zip line.
- Ordinance 2014-7 – Code of Ordinances Supplement – Mike S. made a motion to approve on first read; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously. Beth will advertise two times in local papers.
July 3, 2014 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
- Mark – knows there are many dead and decaying trees in town. He will get estimates on removing the most dangerous ones. He also said that an engineer from CenturyLink is supposed to be getting a hold of him regarding getting the poles moved behind Tom Eggers’ building.
- NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from the North Salem Police Department for June activities.
- Council Members – Rebecca presented Council with a letter she would like to send with the water bills this month regarding sidewalk maintenance. After some editing, Beth will send with July water bills. Rebecca is also still researching possible grant money through INDOT and will possibly need some assistance from a professional grant writer. Mike S. will email Sandy Powers for some insight.
- Harold Blake – no report.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth asked Harold what the procedure would be for prosecuting a resident for utility theft. Also, she asked the Council if we could all meet for a Budget Workshop this month. A date was set for July 24th at 6:00 pm.
Town resident Victoria Anderson came into the meeting late and asked about sidewalk installation and repairs. It was stated that a letter would be going out with the July water bills addressing the subject. She asked if it was “mandatory” that a sidewalk be put in if there was not an existing one and the Council told her that it was not mandatory.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:454 pm. The next meeting will be August 7, 2014, at 6:00 pm.
Beth Russell, Clerk-Treasurer