Archive for the 'Town Minutes' Category

Jun 07 2017

Profile Image of admin

May 2017 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes

 

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

MAY 4, 2017

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The May 4, 2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:02 pm.

  1. ROLL CALL:

Rebecca Compton, President – Present               ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Present                 ______________________________________

Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present                       ______________________________________

  1. PLEDGE/PRAYER:

Council President Rebecca led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.

  1. MINUTES:

Rebecca  asked if there were any additions or corrections to the April minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

  1. OLD ITEMS:
  2. Special Distribution SEA funds (paving project) – Work will be done when weather permits.
  3. Update on Sidewalk Assessment – Rebecca reported that she is still working on this project, but almost done. Just a small portion of SR 75 remains.
  4. Update on Main Streets Program – Another meeting was held April 17th and we had about 20 people in attendance.  Another meeting is scheduled for May 22nd.
  5. Update on County Clean Up – Progress is being made.
  6. North Salem Community Grant Award – Beth has contacted the property owner regarding the awarding of this grant and is she is aware that work must be done prior to October 1st.
  7. Barking Dog Ordinance – After much discussion, it was proposed to repeal part of Ordinance 1-2011, Section (A); Jimmy made a motion to repeal as stated; Mike seconded. Harold will draft a new Ordinance and have ready for first read next month.
  8. Heavy Trash Pickup – Mark stated that it went well; he hasn’t heard of any issues.
  9. Stop Signs at SR 75 – Rebecca has repeatedly sent emails to INDOT regarding the hazards of the intersection at SR 75 and SR 236 here in town; she has not received a response. There have been accidents because drivers think it is a four-way stop; and there are almost daily near-misses.  Rebecca stated that she will contact State Representative Jeff Thompson and possibly Todd Rokita for assistance.  Harold suggested putting up a couple of motion activated cameras for a period of time and sending the information to INDOT.  Beth will research.
  10. Spotlight of Town Ordinances – Beth reported that she had one phone call regarding the sidewalk ordinance. It was suggested that this month we spotlight alleys and trees hanging over sidewalks and also the hours for the town park.
  11. NEW ITEMS:
  12. Town Flag Project – Rebecca suggested we have a Town Flag like Danville and other neighboring towns. We could hold a contest for North Salem Residents.  Several ideas were discussed and more research will be done.
  13. Signs for Town Trucks – Rebecca suggested that we have signs on the Town Trucks identifying them. After some discussion, Council gave approval to look into this.

 



May 4, 2017 Meeting Minutes – page 2

 

 

  1. Grant for North Salem Police Department – Rebecca is putting together a grant application for the purchase of a body camera and AED. Marshal Berry will provide photos and information for these items.
  2. Approval was given (unanimously) for the purchase of a first aid kit and a go bag for the North Salem Police truck and also an external vest carrier for Marshal Berry.
  3. REPORTS:
  4. Mark – would like a reminder to be sent in the water bills this month regarding pool fills. Also, Brent Sellers provided an estimate on the drain to be installed on the Parson’s property; Jimmy made a motion to accept the estimate and have the work done; Mike R. seconded.  Mark will contact Brent.
  5. NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of April.
  6. Council – Jimmy asked about some property between SR 75 and Ladoga Road and if it was considered to be “in town” and if the owner was subject to the same rules, etc., regarding upkeep of property.
  7. Harold Blake – no report.
  8. Clerk-Treasurer – will be attending a Community Crossings Matching Grant meeting in Crawfordsville, May 22nd. Rebecca will also attend.
  9. PUBLIC:

None

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:08 pm.  The next Council Meeting will be June 1st at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

 

___________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet

Older Posts »