Jan 23 2010
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM COUNCIL MEETING
December 3, 2009
1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The December 3, 2009 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
2. ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch – Present ____________________________
Billy Woodrum – Present ____________________________
Mike Russell – Present ____________________________
3. READING OF MINUTES:
Before approving the November 2009 meeting minutes, Billy wanted them to mention that prices on insurance were higher from Porter because of current claims and that Byron said that our premiums would probably come down next year. Mike S. stated that he spoke with Dan Power about this and Dan stated that the claims calculations are included in their premium already (as part of their risk assessment). As the claims age off, the premium will go down. Billy made a motion to amend the November minutes to include this information; Mike R. seconded; motion passed.
4. CITIZEN’S INPUT:
- Woody Woodrum asked about clean up in town and how it was going. Mike S. stated that we are waiting for another situation to be resolved and still evaluating our options available. Billy stated that we need to enforce the Town Clean Up Ordinance.
5. OLD BUSINESS:
- Harold Blake spoke about the police car; stated that he went over all information that Donnie had and that Donnie has covered all the bases and does not expect to hear any thing else.
- Mike S. gave an update on the town insurance. He said that at the October Board Meeting we determined to take the less expensive insurance as long as the policies were comparable. And, as far as we could determine (up through November) they were comparable except for deductibles, which Porter’s had higher deductibles. Byron admitted he could not match the rate that Fleece/Power had. Mike S. then sent an email to everyone to finalize the switch and make sure everyone was on the same page. From the response he received from that email, he went ahead and made the decision to switch companies at $1600 less in premium cost per year with more insurance (including flood and earthquake insurance). Since then, an issue came up about the need for the town to have Terrorist Insurance as well as uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance. He spoke with both Byron Porter and Dan Power and they both said don’t get it so Mike S. made a motion to decline this additional coverage; Mike R. seconded; motion passed. Patty Woodrum then asked Mike S. if the town was going to switch to Fleece/Power for the position bonds. Mike S. will check on this.
Town Council Meeting Minutes – Page 2
- Mike S. gave an update on the Census. There was a mailing in June or July to us asking if we had a homeless center for homeless people and then again in August regarding a boundary survey and whether or not our boundary survey was correct. Mike verified all of this information. Another survey on the boundary was received again last month and then again this month saying the survey had been reversed. Mike finally made contact with them and they said that the federal guidelines of the boundary survey do not agree with the states or with ours. They said if they had any further questions, they would contact us. Mike said he then received an email from the US Census Bureau asking us to set up a semi-private counseling area for people who cannot complete the census. This semi private area cannot contain a police department or security cameras. They asked about using the school and Mike told them they would need to contact Northwest Hendricks School Corporation. They could use the Community Building but would need to contact the Trustee about renting it themselves.
6. NEW BUSINESS:
a. Mike S. made a motion to use any leftover funds for codification and a new copier and fax machine if there is enough.
b. Mike S. reported that the Old Fashion Christmas coming up was going well. The ham and bean supper for the 175 Committee went well – they raised over $1,200.00 to be forwarded to HCCF – North Salem Fund.
c. Need to update ordinances in early 2010.
d. Billy made a motion to accept the 2010 Board Meeting dates; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.
e. Billy made a motion to accept the 2010 holiday schedule; Mike. S. seconded; motion passed unanimously.
- Harold Blake – Town Attorney
- Water and Street Superintendent – Mark Basham
d. Clerk-Treasurer – Cheryl Russell
There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:34 pm. The next Council meeting will be held on Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 6:00 pm.