Apr 03 2014
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
March 6, 2014
CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The March 6, 2014 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the February 2014 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
PUBLIC MEETING – ANNEXATION FOR LIESKE PROPERTY – OPENED AT 6:03 PM; NO ONE IN ATTENDANCE; NO COMMENTS; therefore, Rebecca made a motion to approve Ordinance 2014-3 as written; Mike S. seconded. MEETING CLOSED AT 6:04 PM.
PUBLIC MEETING – ANNEXATION FOR NORTH WEST HENDRICKS SCHOOL – OPENED AT 6:04 PM; NO ONE IN ATTENDANCE; NO COMMENTS; therefore, Mike S. made a motion to approve Ordinance 2014-4 as written; Rebecca seconded. MEETING CLOSED AT 6:05 PM.
It was noted that April’s meeting will be the third and final reading for both of these Ordinances.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Fire Hydrants – on hold until weather is better.
- Planning Grant – Mike Selch read an email from Ken Smith regarding Planning Grant. He took a water sample on the 27th of February. He will deliver a report when available. Other than that, this grant is now closed.
- Recycle Bin – Mark is in communication with Ray’s regarding our recycle bin. We will stick with once a week pick up because it will be too expensive to go to twice weekly pick up. We will put a notice in March’s water bills asking residents to break down boxes.
- 5. NEW ITEMS:
- Workshop – Mike S. spoke about workshop held by Council. We will not be pursuing grants for new water tower or treatment plant at this time.
- Water Pressure System at school – Mike S., Mark and Doug met with Banning Engineering regarding the possible need to a water pressure system at the school. There is not a current problem, but we want to be ready in case. It was decided to have a pressure test done before we go any further.
Meeting minutes – March 6, 2014 – page 2
Refinance – we are finishing up getting all the needed information to the bank to refinance our loans that we currently have with USDA. This will save us money as we will get a lower interest rate.
- Tap on Fees – Ordinance 2014-5 regarding tap on fees was presented for first reading. After much discussion, some language was changed and fees were agreed upon. Mike R. made a motion to approve as amended; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously.
- Utility Rates – at the workshop a fire protection fee was discussed as well as a minimal rate increase of 2% on utilities. After much discussion, it was decided to revisit this topic in May to possibly take effect in October. Harold will draft an ordinance on Fire Protection Fees for the April meeting.
- Late Paying Utility Customers – After much discussion, it was decided to update the language on the Disconnect letters we send out. These changes will take effect with those bills due for disconnect on March 10th.
- American Legal – Mike S. made a motion to approve sending 2013 Ordinances to American Legal to update our code book; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously. Beth will send updates via email to American Legal.
- IACT Round Table – Beth will make reservations for all for the meeting in Cloverdale March 25th.
- Mark – stated that he was approached by Byron Porter about how they have some money from the Robert G. Porter Memorial Fund that they would like to use on something for the Town. Mark suggested new signs for the park at the entrances (SR 75 and SR 236). Mark will discuss further with Byron and report back next month.
- NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from the North Salem Police Department for February activities. John also asked for some time off on certain dates this year and the Board approved. He also asked about looking into the possibility of trading the car for an SUV. The Board gave him approval to look into this. John also stated that he has been having some problems with his computer in the car and that he will be attending some computer training in Brownsburg March 10th.
Rebecca asked John to look into an abandoned home on Nebraska Street and also stated that there were many newspapers scattered about town. Beth will contact the Flyer Group about this problem.
- Council Members – Rebecca will forward appraisal to Lew Kincaid for the land by Machinery Field. She is still looking for money to purchase this land if possible.
- Harold Blake – no report.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth presented Transfer Resolution 01-2014 transferring money from the Trash Fund to the General and MVH Funds to bring these funds out of the red. Mike S. made motion to approve; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. Beth also presented at Addendum to the 2014 Salary Ordinance.
Mike S. made motion to approve; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. The budget was also discussed regarding the funds available for the police department. For the past three years we have had both a paid Marshal and paid Deputy. We are not receiving enough money in the General Fund to
Meeting minutes – March 6, 2014 – page 3
support this. Josh volunteered to cut his hours from 25 per week to 15. We will see how this impacts the budget and possibly revisit later in the year.
- 7. PUBLIC:
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:25 pm. The next meeting will be April 3, 2014, at 6:00 pm.