Archive for July, 2014

Jul 01 2014

Profile Image of admin

May 1, 2014 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes

 

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

May 1, 2014

 

  1.  CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The May 1, 2014 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.

  1.  ROLL CALL:

Mike Selch, President – Present                                 ______________________________________

Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present                ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Member – Present                 ______________________________________

  1.  MINUTES:

Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the April 2014 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

 

For the record, Mike Selch stated that Saturday, May 10, 2014, is the last day for any “non-annexed” property owners to appeal.  Since this date falls on a Saturday, there is an extension to the end of the next business day, May 12th.  Ordinance will be recorded on Tuesday, May 13th.

  1. OLD ITEMS:
    1. Fire Hydrant – Mark Basham said that the new fire hydrant will be installed next week and the seeding and grading will be done as well.  Then the project will be complete.
    2. Recycle Bin – Mark stated that new recycling bins have been placed by the Community Building and we will see how they work out.
    3. Water Pressure for the School update – test will probably be sometime this summer.
    4. Utility Tap on Fees – Ordinance 2014-5 – this ordinance passed unanimously on third and final reading.
    5. Utility Rates – we will gather information for our June meeting and possibly hold a public hearing in July.
    6. Ordinance 2014-6 – Fire Protection Fees – it was noted that this fee will be $2.50 per month per active customers within town limits.  Rebecca made a motion to approve; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.  Next month will be the third and final read.
    7. NS Park Signs – Rebecca will speak with Byron and Barbara Porter regarding the wording on these signs for the park.
    8. Sidewalks – Mark did not have any bids for work on sidewalks at this time.  Tom Eggers suggested using the same grant he used a few years ago to “extend” the project down Pearl Street.  Tom will see if he can find information for Rebecca.
    9. Municipal Code Update – we have submitted Ordinances through 2013; No update.
    10. IACT Workshops – no one is available to attend the IACT workshops this month.
    11. Police Electronic Communications – Update – Mike S. presented an update on the radio system the County will be going with in 2015.  This will mean major expenses for all police and fire departments.  At this point we do not know how we are going to pay for the new equipment and continue to pay our “portion” of the dispatch fees we are billed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

May 1, 2014 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2

 

  1. NEW ITEMS:

None

  1. REPORTS:
    1.  Mark – reported that he purchased a new seat for the Dixie chopper and also new tires and blades.
    2. NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from the North Salem Police Department for April activities.
    3. Council Members – No Report
    4. Harold Blake – no report.
    5. Clerk-Treasurer –  no report
    6.  PUBLIC:

Tom Eggers was in attendance to speak to the Council about the possibility of  his son putting in a restaurant in his  building on Pearl Street.  There are some telephone poles in the alley which need to be moved to make the alley wider; It was suggested that we send a letter to the phone company from John Berry as Fire Chief and Mike Selch as Council President asking that these poles be moved and\or relocated.  Tom also asked if there was a possibility to make the alley one way going west.  It was suggested that Tom discuss this issue with the Methodist Church and get their opinion before discussion continues.  He also asked the Council if they had any issues with the restaurant possibly having a “pick up” window in the back.  After much discussion, Mike S. recommended that he go to the County with all of his requests and if he encountered any problems, he could come back to the Town Council.  That being said, Rebecca made a motion to approve the possibility of a restaurant; Mike S. seconded; motion passed unanimously.

 

Also in attendance were Pam and Connelly Cox to discuss an issue they had with complaints regarding their dog barking; they received a citation from Marshal Berry.  After much discussion, Harold Blake stated that he was filing their citation in Danville the following day so they could either pay the fine tonight or a court date would be set.  They chose a court date so Harold will file at the Courthouse in Danville on Friday, May 2nd.

  1.  ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:24 pm.  The next meeting will be June 5, 2014, at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

____________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet

« Newer Posts