Jun 05 2015
MINUTES OF TOWN OF NORTH SALEM COUNCIL MEETING
MAY 18, 2015
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The May 18, 2015 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the April, 2015 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved unanimously as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Appointment to the Hendricks County Communications Center – No Update.
- NS Municipal Code Book Update – No Update.
- NS School Water Line – No update.
- Clean Ups & Heavy Trash – Mark thought it went well.
- NSPD – Marshal Berry had no update on new truck, however, Indy EMS is interested in purchasing our current car
- Bicycle Safety Program – Rebecca thought it went well; many helmets were handed out
- Hendricks Healthy Community Program – only Mike S., Rebecca and Marshal Berry in attendance.
- NEW ITEMS:
- VBS – Amber Auman – Emmanuel Baptist Church will be holding Vacation Bible School June 14-18; they would like to promote their program on June 13th from 2-4 pm by setting up in town on North Broadway Street with a trailer and handing out popcorn, snow-cones, etc.. The Board gave her permission to do this on behalf of Emmanuel Baptist Church. They will also be driving around town handing out items during this time.
- Town Mower – repairs have been made; but because of the down time Mark got behind and had to hire help to mow.
- Old Utility Trailer – tabled until next month\
- IACT Legislative Update – Mike S. had a handout for the Council and Harold Blake; many changes in the works.
- Hendricks County Community Fund – Mike S. met with the Executive Director of HCCF on Monday; the North Salem Fund has a good chunk of money in it. He’d like to hold a few fundraisers (bean supper, chili supper, silent auctions, etc.) to pump the fund up and possibly begin giving out small grants each year side walk repairs. His hope is that residents in town can apply for a grant to pay for side walk repair. Council agreed this would be a great project.
- Mark – reported that the County has given Richard Lewis an extension on his house repairs; Mr. Lewis has been working on getting his repairs done; Mark would like to hold a fundraiser with assistance from the United Methodist Men’s Group in order to assist Mr. Lewis with his repairs. The Board thought that was a great idea. Mark also reported that he has received estimates from one company on a few trees in town that need to come down; he is working on getting estimates from another company to compare. Mark was asked about a few ditches in town that need attention. He is unsure who’s responsibility it is…town or county. Harold suggested he call the Recorder’s office and also look at plat map and/or contact Hendricks County Drainage Board. In addition, Mark told the Board that the bobcat needs repairs and he will take it to Indy Bobcat North this week. He will also be working on getting Park signs put up.
May 18, 2015 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
NSPD – For the record, Mike S. presented the NSPD report for the month of April. Marshal Berry also reported that the Pittsboro Police Department has been given the okay to donate some slightly used equipment to the North Salem Police Department which includes an in-car camera unit.
- Council Members – Rebecca has been researching INDOT and ITAP for possible grant money for sidewalk projects. She will also be meeting with a rep from Health by Design next month for some ideas as well. She also mentioned several properties in town that need to cut their grass.
- Harold Blake – No Report
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth asked the Board if they had any changes to the Salary Ordinance for 2016. It was decided that it would remain the same (no increases). Beth will have ready for passage at next month’s meeting.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm. The June Board meeting will be held on Thursday, June 4th at 6:00 pm.