Sep 05 2015
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
AUGUST 6, 2015
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The August 6, 2015 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the July, 2015 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved unanimously as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Rachel Buckman, Healthy Communities – Rachel presented the Council with a proposal for North Salem Community Days to be launched in the summer of 2016. She described the project and how it could benefit North Salem residents. After much discussion, Rebecca made a motion to allow Rachel to move forward with one planned community day in North Salem; Mike R. seconded. Rachel said they could see how this one goes and also see if they can plan community days in other small towns and see how they go (pilot program); then hopefully launch full scale in 2017.
- Appointment to the Hendricks County Communications Center – no update.
- NS School Water Line – Both Mark and Mike S. have been in touch with the school regarding the work that needs to be done; Mike sent email to Mr. King, Superintendent. It needs to be replaced before winter.
- NSPD Squad Car – no update.
- Old Fashion Days – Linda Miller was in attendance to let the Council know that all is going well; they have security lined up for the weekend; insurance is in place; all is good to go. She did ask if we could include a small schedule in this month’s water bills and we told her yes.
- NEW ITEMS:
- IACT Annual Conference – Rebecca would like to attend a couple of workshops on Tuesday; Beth will register her next week.
- FYI – Mike S. wanted to let everyone know that the vote for LOIT will take place at the Government Center on August 13th at 2:00 pm.
- Mark – Beth reported that some tree work had been done.
- Mike S. presented Council with sample letter to residents regarding a Ham and Bean supper fundraiser for the Hendricks County Community Foundation – North Salem Fund. If we can get this fund over $20,000, we can begin to provide grants for town residents to improve our sidewalks. It was decided that the council would hold a workshop to discuss plans/dates on Tuesday, August 11th. At this time also, council will drive around town and determine clean up properties and who should receive letters about cleaning up.
August 6, 2015 Council Meeting Minutes – page 2
- NSPD – for the record, Mike S. presented NSPD report for the month of July. Marshal Berry also reported that he will be attending an OPS meeting on August 11th and also plans to attend the LOIT meeting on the 13th. He also said that the bank was possibly interested in purchasing the current police car. John also asked if he could keep Josh Butler on as a Reserve officer, but he is not sure of his availability. Council asked John to investigate how many hours he must have a month to be considered a reserve officer. Marshal Berry submitted a list of inventory of deputy equipment that Josh had; it was decided that he could keep it all.
- Rebecca has been emailing back and forth with some with Hendricks County regarding the ditches in town and who is responsible for their upkeep. She finally heard from the County that North Salem does not have any “regulated drainage ditches”. The town could apply to have our ditches regulated and they would be regulated by the county, but they don’t accept these applications often, nor do they want any more. We are not really sure if we have drainage ditches or natural streams and/or creeks. INDOT or DNR should be able to determine what we have. Along these lines, there were some town residents in attendance because of recent flooding of streams/creeks/ditches that run through their property. In addition, the banks are corroding as well. With the surrounding fields being ditched, etc., this has created more water flowing through the creek/stream thus creating more problems. They believe that a bigger culvert is needed as well. After much discussion, Rebecca asked them to put in writing all of their concerns, ideas, and changes to their property in the last few years, and she would get in touch with her contact person with INDOT.
- Harold Blake – No Report
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth reported that she contact the owner of the apartment house in town about replacing their sidewalks; they will investigate cost and get back with us.
See item d above
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:04 pm. The next Council Meeting will be September 3, 2015, at 6:00 pm.