Archive for November, 2015

Nov 06 2015

Profile Image of admin

October 1, 2015 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes




OCTOBER 1, 2015



The  October 1, 2015 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.


Mike Selch, President – Present                   ______________________________________

Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present                ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Member – Present                  ______________________________________

  1. PUBLIC HEARING – ADOPTION OF BUDGET 2016:  No one was in attendance.  Rebecca made a motion to adopt the proposed 2016 budget – Resolution 2015-1; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.

Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the September 3, 2015 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved unanimously as written.

  2. Appointment to the Hendricks County Communications Center – Eric Wathen was in attendance and stated that the County did pass a local option income tax to take affect October 1st. This will generate enough money for the center so they will not be billing individual towns for the money.  We will still be responsible for all of the equipment John will need to upgrade.  We still do not have a small town Rep for the Communications Center.  It is important that we have a representative for the small towns.  Eric is not sure how we should proceed.
  3. NS School Water Line – We have not heard from the School Corporation on what is being done to replace the water line that has broken a couple of times in the last year. Superintendent Richard King had told us that they planned to do the work over spring break (2015); the work was not done and Mark could get to answer from any one.  In the event the water line breaks, it could be detrimental in that the water tower could be drained and the town residents left without water.  Mike Selch presented a draft of a letter notifying the school that the project needed to be complete as soon as possible.  This letter will be sent certified mail/return receipt and copied to all members of the School Board.
  4. NSPD Squad Car – Marshal Berry stated that the new truck should arrive around October 8th.  He is also making arrangements for the equipment to be removed from the car and installed in the truck; he has also contacted the Pittsboro Police Department regarding the audio/video equipment they are giving us.  He’d like all  of the equipment installed at the same time if possible.  We have received an offer from the bank to purchase the current car for $9,000.00.  This is $1,000 over what we would get for trade in.  Beth informed the council that according to state statute it requires that the car be sold at a public sale or by sealed bids; sold at public auction; or sold through an approved internet auction since the value is more than $1,000 if we choose not to trade it in.  Mike Selch made the motion to allow the bank to purchase the car for $9,000.00; Rebecca seconded.  Mike R. called for an open discussion.  For the record, the Clerk Treasurer has advised against this based on the opinion of the State Board of Accounts.  Mike Selch then asked for all those in favor of allowing the bank to purchase for $9,000.00, indicate by saying “aye”.  The vote was unanimous.
  5. “NS Community Fundraising” – Mike S. presented Council with a draft of the grant requirements. We need to come up with a “simple” form to complete when applying for this grant.  A workshop was scheduled for October 21st at 6:00 pm.  Mike S. has been in contact with several businesses in hopes of obtaining door prizes for the Ham and Bean Fundraiser later this month.  We also discussed a revision of the Sidewalk Ordinance.  Resolution 2015-2 was presented.  After much discussion, it was decided  to raise the dollar amount for assistance from $500 to $600 for a single lot and up to $1200 (was $1000) for a double lot.  This will give our town residents at least two funding streams for sidewalk improvements.  Beth will have this revised Resolution ready for November’s meeting.
  7. North Salem Fund Grant Guidelines – see d above.
  8. Old Fashion Days Update – Linda Miller was in attendance. She wanted to thank everyone for their assistance with the Festival this year.  Overall comments were good.  Clean up was good.  They had some electricity issues.  Mark will contact Duke Energy about getting more power to the pole by the Community Building.










October 1, 2015 Council Meeting – page 2



  1. Halloween – Elaine Burkhardt was in attendance. She suggested having trick or treating down town; businesses and individuals set up on the sidewalks to pass out candy, etc.   Other suggestions were to have a “block party” and maybe this could coincide with a fundraiser for the North Salem Fund.  After much discussion, it was suggested that Elaine begin work on a plan for 2016.
  2. Equipment for Digital Recording – After some discussion, it was decided that Beth will do more in depth research on this.
  3. Health Insurance – Beth presented the council with new health insurance plans for Mark and Beth. Doing away with a “group” plan and going to individual plans will save a lot of money.  Mike S. made a motion to eliminate the group coverage and allow Beth to pursue the individual option; Rebecca seconded; Mike R. abstained.
  5. Mark – reported to the Council that the old wooden jungle gym at the park needs to be removed as it is falling apart.  Council stated to go ahead and take it down.  He suggested maybe starting a donation campaign for newer, updated equipment.  Mark also mentioned that Warren Moreland’s pickup truck is coming up for sale and asked if the town would consider purchasing it.  Council asked him to look into it and see what they are asking for it.  He also stated that there is a tree at the waste water treatment plan that needs to come down.  If we get another storm like the one a few years ago and this tree is uprooted, it will destroy our sewer lines.  He has an estimate of $300 to remove.  Mark will go ahead and have this done.
  6. NSPD – for the record, Mike S. presented NSPD report for the month of September.    John stated that the Christian Church will have their safe house from 6-8 on Halloween.  Trick or Treat times were set for 6-8 pm.  Mike S. will create flyer for window and town website.  Notice will go in water bills.
  7. Rebecca reported that she attended the Parks meeting last month with the Hendricks County Park Board. There is a big move to make parks better and an initiative to make safer sidewalks for bicyclist and walkers to increase our health.  The State of Indiana ranks in the bottom ten for obesity.  A group called Health by Design says that every town should do small improvements (what they can afford) each year and continue to make small improvements.  They are giving away five grants for sidewalk repair.  Rebecca hopes we can get in on this.  Rebecca also attended a three hour workshop with IACT in French Lick which gave ideas on how to make your community healthy.  She also stated that there was an upcoming Green Infrastructure training session sponsored by OCRA on November 5th in Muncie.  Beth will register her for this meeting.
  8. Harold Blake – Harold asked if we were accepting donations of any kind for the Ham and Bean fundraiser this month. Mike S. stated that we will accept any donation to be given away for a door prize.
  9. Clerk-Treasurer – No Report.
  10. PUBLIC:



There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:38 pm.  The next Council Meeting will be November 5, 2015, at 6:00 pm.






Beth Russell


No responses yet

« Newer Posts