Jan 07 2016
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
DECEMBER 3, 2015
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The December 3, 2015 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections to the November Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved unanimously as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Appointment to the Hendricks County Communications Center – Mike S. has emailed Matt Whetstone but has not received a reply. It was decided to remove this item from future agendas until we here from someone.
- NS School Water Line – There pressure monitoring system has been installed and is up and running.
- North Salem Fund Grant Guidelines & Applications – it was decided to make these grant applications available to Town residents beginning in January, 2016.
- Equipment for Digital Recording – Beth is still researching.
- Monitoring Water Tower, Update – our equipment has been ordered; should be here next week.
- Resolution 2015-2 – Sidewalk Repair/Replacement – Rebecca made a motion to approve as written; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.
- NEW ITEMS:
- Utility Rate Study – Mike S. provided Council with information from Umbaugh regarding water and waste water rate studies. He asked them to review and discuss at a workshop in January. Mike’s suggestion is that develop a sliding annual scale to address utility rates each year and avoid major rate increases as well as exhaustive, much too detailed and expensive rate studies. An excel spreadsheet with annual expenses for each utility spanning 4 or 5 years could be examined each year to see how much a utility has changed from each of the previous 4 or 5 year period. Better estimations of overall expenses could be made based on our own historical records each year and more accurately and with much smaller changes. Harold Blake stated that there must be a process in place for justification of a rate increase. All will be discussed at a workshop on January 5th at 6:00 pm.
- Egger’s Alley Poles – You met with Duke Energy and they said the poles belonged to Century Link; Mark has been in contact with Century Link and will be meeting with one of their engineers this month.
- 2016 Council Meeting dates and Holidays – Rebecca made a motion to approve the list of meeting dates and holiday dates; Mike R. seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
- Mark – no additional report.
- NSPD – for the record, Mike S. presented NSPD report for the month of November.
- Rebecca reported that she and Marshal Berry attended a meeting at the Government Center earlier today regarding the Communications Center and a program they are offering through Everbridge. Anyone will be able to use this program free of charge as a tool to receive emergency notifications in the county. We should see more information on this program in January. Rebecca also asked if there was anything that could be done with the vacant, possibly abandoned homes in town. Harold will research state statutes and have information to be discussed at January’s meeting.
- Harold Blake – No Report.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Encumber Funds – Mike R. made a motion to encumber any funds left over at the end of the year; Mike S. seconded. Beth told the Board that we had received a request from the Tri-West Post Prom Committee for a donation. Rebecca made a motion to donate $100; Mike R. seconded. Motion passed unanimously. Also, Beth let the Board know that the State of Indiana would like the Town Council President to read a proclamation on December 11th at 12:00 noon EST, and proudly raise the Bicentennial Flag to celebrate the launch of the Bicentennial year in Indiana. Mike S. requested that Beth scan the documents received and he will add to the town website.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:39 pm. The next Council Meeting will be January 7th, at 6:00 pm.