Archive for October, 2017

Oct 11 2017

Profile Image of admin

September 2017 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

SEPTEMBER 7, 2017

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The September 7, 2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.

  1. ROLL CALL:

Rebecca Compton, President – Present              ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Present                 ______________________________________

Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present                       ______________________________________

  1. PLEDGE/PRAYER:

Council President Rebecca led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.

  1. MINUTES:

Rebecca  asked if there were any additions or corrections to the August minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

  1. PUBLIC MEETING – 2018 BUDGET:

The 2018 Budget was presented for discussion.  There being no comment from the public, Mike Russell made a motion to accept as presented; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously.  It will be adopted at the October meeting.

  1. OLD ITEMS:
  2. Update on Old Fashion Days – Linda Miller was not present at the time; see below
  3. Update on Main Streets Program – Bill Compton, President of the North Salem Revitalization Committee, was in attendance to give an update on the Main Streets Program. He reported that the ice cream social fundraiser brought in over $1,000.00.  He stated that their articles of incorporation have been accepted but they have not received anything from the state yet.  They held a mini-fundraiser during Old Fashion Days that brought in $38.00; they have elected their Committee Chairs and members have been established for each committee.  Insurance is also in place and Bill will get a Certificate of Insurance to be on file in the Town Hall.  Their next meeting is September 21st.
  4. Update on stop signs at SR 75 – The LED stop signs have been installed!  We have heard nothing but good things.
  5. Spotlight of Town Ordinances – It was decided to spotlight our Burn ordinance in this month’s water bills.
  6. Town Flag Project – We have received very few entries. It was decided to extend the contest until October 15th.  Notices will go in this month’s water bills.
  7. Update on French Drain – Mark had no update. It has been a dry summer.  He still thinks that  the property owner needs to try moving his sump pump to a different location.
  8. Update on Painting of the Hydrants – Mark reported that this is still in progress, they haven’t had time to do it yet. Harold suggested contacting the Chairman of Judges in Hendricks County letting her know that we have community service hours available. Beth will make contact.
  9. Sidewalk Replacement – Rebecca stated that the ordinance we have in place is contradictory in parts; After much discussion, it was decided that the Council members would hold a workshop to review. This was set for September 20th at 6:00 pm.  While on the subject of ordinances, Jimmy asked Harold what could be done regarding the property in town that had a fire back in July.  The homeowner is going back and forth with his insurance company.  Harold stated that since we do not have our own Building and Zoning Board, we should refer this to the County.  Beth will contact Scott Butrum tomorrow.
  10. Ordinance 2017-2 – Park location. Ordinance 2017-2 was presented for final read.  This ordinance amends the location of the park from the “West edge of town” to the “East end of town”.  Mike Russell made a motion to approve; Jimmy seconded; motion passed unanimously.  Beth will advertise once in local newspapers.
  11. Shred Day – it was decided to hold another “shred day” in late April or early May. But will contact Ray’s to set up; notices will go in water bills in March.
  12. NEW ITEMS:
  13. November Ham and Bean Supper –Jimmy spoke with Phyllis Greason over Old Fashion Days. She asked that we contact her for a possible donation of two sets of Pacer’s tickets to be given away during the Bean supper.   Beth will make contact with her.  It was decided that we will come up with a different strategy with regards to door prizes, etc.
  14. Update on Town Garage – Rebecca stated that the new garage door looks great; Mark said he needs to get a latch lock put on it. He also said that he plans to have a new service door installed and the other door painted as well.  He is still getting figures together on heat and air conditioning as well as water.
  15. Linda Miller came into the meeting late and Rebecca asked her to go ahead and report on Old Fashion Days. Linda stated that everything went really well; she thanked the Town, Marshal Berry, Mark and Kevin, and also the fire department and emts.

  

 

September 8, 2017 minutes – page two

  

 

  1. Deputy Reserve – We have no money in the budget for a part time deputy so it was suggested we go the route of hiring a reserve officer.  Marshal Berry stated that he is not pushing for this, but would like to discuss further.
  2. REPORTS:
  3. Mark – It’s time to change the filter media again; we have been doing this about every three years. It will cost around $4,000.00.  Rebecca stated that the Conservancy District is selling trees and asked Mark if we should purchase some to replace the trees lost due to storm damage.  Mark said it was a good idea; Rebecca will contact to see what types they have available.
  4. NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of August. He still does not have an update on the body camera but is hoping to hear something soon.  He also let the Council know that the radio he currently uses will no longer be supported as of January 1, 2019.  He was also told that the police channel will be encrypted so the radio will not work.  The approximate cost of a new radio is around $5,000.00 and we will probably need two if we get a reserve officer.  He also wanted to let the Council know that the electrician for Old Fashion Days said we needed a new surge protector in the box for the street lights.
  5. Council – Jimmy asked if letters had been sent to property owners regarding their weeds and tall grass. Beth stated they had but nothing had been done yet.  She also said that the County told her that this was usually taken care of by the Township Trustee.  Beth will get more information.  Rebecca also let Mark know that the street light at the corner of Pearl and California was not working properly.
  6. Harold Blake – No report.
  7. Clerk-Treasurer – Beth let the Council know that a town resident was in and asked if there was anything we could do regarding the big trucks, semis and farm equipment that come into town via Ladoga Road. The street is too narrow and they are tearing up his yard.  Harold said there is really nothing that can be done; the road was in place before the house was built.  Beth also reported that she has been in contact with American Legal regarding updating the Ordinance Book.  It will cost between $500-$800.  Harold suggested that we wait until January 1st to be sure to include any future ordinances this year.    In addition, Beth reported that they have pushed the awarding of the Community Crossings Grant to sometime this fall.
  8. PUBLIC:

None

 ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:32  pm.  The next Council Meeting will be October 5th at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

 

___________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

 

No responses yet