Jun 07 2010

Profile Image of admin

May 6, 2010 North Salem Town Council Minutes

Posted at 9:46 pm under Town Minutes

 

 

 

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM COUNCIL MEETING

MAY 6, 2010

 

1.  CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The May 6, 2010 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:02 pm.

 

2.  ROLL CALL:

Mike Selch – Present           ____________________________

Billy Woodrum – Present   ____________________________

Mike Russell – Present       ____________________________

 

3.  READING OF MINUTES:

Billy made a motion to approve the April 2010 minutes as written; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. 

 

4.  CITIZEN’S INPUT:

a.        Vicki Cox presented an idea for a North Salem Old Fashion Street Fair to be held on Saturday, July 3rd, from 10 am to 9 pm.  Fair would highlight local artists and would have food booths, lemonade stand, sidewalk sales, vendor booths, etc.  Plan would be to hold on South Broadway from Pearl Street to Vine Street on both sides; charge small fee for booth space.  Billy thought this was a good idea; Mike R. agreed.  Rain dates would be Sunday or Monday.  Billy made motion to approve; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.  We will send information with the water bills.

b.       Several citizens were in attendance to discuss parking issues and alley ways and easements.  Mark B. recommended putting more stone down for additional parking space and see if this helps the situation.

 

5.  OLD BUSINESS:

                a.    Mark spoke with Chuck Fancher about adding aluminum to the merry go round at the park

                      and he said it would be expensive.  They are still researching other possible alternatives.

                b.   Mike S. handed out information regarding disaster funding for water grant; he believes it’s a

       dead issue at this point.  

 

6.  NEW BUSINESS:

                a.    Mike S. spoke about the Waste Water grant deadline was met; no response on May 3rd.  Hope

                      to hear something by next week. 

b.       Mark spoke about the need for a swimming pool water ordinance.  He presented a rough proposal  stating that those customers who fill their pools will be charged for water only at a rate of $10.00 per 1000 gallons of water (sewage will not be charged on this water.)  Customers must pay in advance; customer will  notify  the Town Water Department so meters can be read before and after filling the pool.   This will be available only one time per  year per customer.    Harold Blake will take information and draft an ordinance for the June meeting.  There was discussion about  customers who water their gardens and lawns, but there is no way to establish rates for these daily or every other day situations.  Billy made a motion to accept Mark’s proposal as written; Mike S. seconded; motion passed unanimously, commencing with the 2010 water recreation year.  

c.        Mike S. said the Census Bureau said we can do whatever we want with the clothing items they sent.

d.       Mike S. mentioned that today was National Day of Prayer and that there would be a gathering at the Community Building at 7:00 pm.

e.        Prior to the meeting, John Gossett presented a written request to close Vine Street from 3-8 pm on June 12th for a line dance during the Community Fish Fry;  Board approved request.

  

7.  DEPARTMENTS:

a.    Mark presented two proposals (Triangle and Wabash Valley)  for paving a few more streets in

       town.  Mark recommends we go with Wabash Valley because is it $1700 cheaper.  Billy made

       a motion to accept the Wabash Valley proposal; Mike S. seconded.    Billy also asked Mark to

       check on the price of asphalt and or concrete for a walk way in the area between the Town

       Hall and Tom’s garage.

 

 

 

 

 

May 2010 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2

 

b.    Mark let the Board know that the restrooms at the park will be ready for Memorial Day

       Weekend.  He recommends leaving them unlocked from dawn till dark; Donnie will check

       periodically throughout each day; can be unlocked first thing in the morning then locked at

      dark.  Board agreed this was a good idea.

c.    Mark asked about ideas for a sign for the park and placing it on 236 or 75; Board suggested

       placing a sign at both entrances.  Mark will get prices.  He will also check into getting a sign

       for Pearl Street and Broadway indicating “Crossing for the Blind” or something along those

       lines. 

d.    Donnie reported that he has been very busy the last few weeks.

e.    Mike R. stated that he has watched Mark and Doug repeatedly carry stone up and down the

       streets with the bobcat and that maybe the town needed to purchase a dump truck or put a

       dump bed on the town truck.

f.    Billy mentioned the portable basketball goals on the streets around town and that at

       times the kids won’t move off the streets when cars are coming through.  Donnie said he will

       speak to them.

 

8.  ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6.54 pm.  The next Council meeting will be held on Thursday, June 3, 2010 at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

_____________________________________

Cheryl Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

 

 

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.