Mar 07 2017

Profile Image of admin

February 2017 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Posted at 11:56 am under Town Minutes

 

 

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

FEBRUARY 2, 2017

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The February 2, 2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council  President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.

 

  1. ROLL CALL:

Rebecca Compton, President – Present               ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Present                 ______________________________________

Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present                       ______________________________________

 

  1. PLEDGE/PRAYER:

Council President Rebecca led with the Pledge of Allegiance; this was followed by a prayer from Pastor Greg Way, North Salem United Methodist Church.

 

  1. MINUTES:

Rebecca  asked if there were any additions or corrections to the January minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

 

  1. OLD ITEMS:
  2. Special Distribution SEA funds – Mark will have three bids by the March meeting.
  3. Update on Sidewalk Assessment – Rebecca reported that she has completed California Street (North and South) and also Ladoga Road.
  4. Computer Update – Beth reported that the glitch in the new computer hard drive has been fixed and is now working great.
  5. Recorder Update – Beth received guidance from past Council Member Mike Selch on recording digitally with the laptop and it is being used to record this meeting and future meetings.

 

  1. NEW ITEMS:
  2. Indiana Main Streets Program – Rebecca reported on the informal meeting held in the Town Hall with representatives from Coatesville’s Main Street Program. We need to put together a core group of volunteers who will need to work together to meet the criteria of becoming a certified Indiana Main Street Community.  The process takes approximately a year to complete.  Rebecca and Beth will be working together to come up with a list of potential volunteers and send invitations in the coming weeks.  A tentative meeting has been set up for March 20th with Jill Curry from OCRA who will explain how the program works.  Harold suggested that all of the churches in town be invited to participate; Rebecca stated that it will be open to all business owners as well.

 

  1. REPORTS:
  2. Mark – reported that he spoke with Liz from Liz’s Country Café and they have agreed that the handicap parking space will be moved to in front of her restaurant. Mark will take care of this in the spring and also add a sign to the pole at this location.  Rebecca asked Mark about the debris still on the side of the road on the south end of Nebraska Street and also about some trash along the ravine

 

February 2017 Minutes – page 2

 

  1. from the south end of Broadway over to Nebraska Street. After some discussion, Mark said that he and Kevin would pick it up.
  2. NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of January. In addition, Marshal Berry stated that he has resigned as Fire Chief and Kevin Basham took over as of February 1st.  Rebecca asked him how he was doing and John reported that he is doing much better and is making great progress with physical therapy.
  3. Council – Jimmy suggested that the Council asked Mike Selch if he would be interested in grant writing for the town; Rebecca will call Mike to discuss. Jimmy also mentioned the Lucas property and that it has a new owner and the trailer will be removed and a new house built on the property.  Rebecca asked Mark about the status of the gravel/sand covering the sidewalk on South Broadway.  Mark stated that he has spoken with the property owner and this will be moved within the next week.  Rebecca also asked Beth if letters were mailed to a couple of home owners in town regarding blowing trash, etc.  Beth stated the letters were mailed Friday, January 27th.
  4. Harold Blake – no report.
  5. Clerk-Treasurer – Beth let the Council know that the County has sent a letter to the property owner at 109 South Broadway (house was torn down but has an open hole with no caution tape or barricades around it); she also let them know that we have received one sidewalk grant application as of today. Jimmy then asked if we can change the criteria for this grant wherein if you receive a grant you may not apply again for three years or something to this affect.  Beth will contact the Hendricks County Community Foundation regarding this for next year’s grant application.

 

  1. PUBLIC:

None

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:41 pm.  The next Council Meeting will be March  2nd  at 6:00 pm.

 

 

Attest:

 

 

___________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.