Aug 15 2017

Profile Image of admin

July 2017 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Posted at 9:03 am under Town Minutes

 

 

 

 

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

JULY 6, 2017

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The July 6, 2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Rebecca Compton at 6:00 pm.

 

  1. ROLL CALL:

Rebecca Compton, President – Present               ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Absent                  ______________________________________

Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present                       ______________________________________

 

  1. PLEDGE/PRAYER:

Council President Rebecca led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer.

 

  1. MINUTES:

Rebecca  asked if there were any additions or corrections to the June minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

 

  1. OLD ITEMS:
  2. Special Distribution SEA funds (paving project) – Project is complete and final close out grant paperwork has been completed.
  3. Update on Sidewalk Assessment – Rebecca reported that this project is now complete.
  4. Update on Main Streets Program – A couple meetings were held in June.  This group is coming along; officers and board members were elected.  They were able to get several donations to open their checking account.  Rebecca explained that other Main Street Committees had approached their Town Council regarding a donation.  Rebecca proposed that we donate $500 on behalf of the town; Jimmy seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.
  5. Stop Signs at SR 75 – The new LED stop signs should be installed soon. Marshal Berry asked Rebecca if she could get in touch with her contact with INDOT about putting “whirligigs” on top of the School Zone signs by the elementary; she will email her contact next week.
  6. Spotlight of Town Ordinances – we will continue to spotlight a couple of town ordinances each month.
  7. Town Flag Project – Rebecca presented the Council with an outline of criteria for this project. A couple of changes were made per Harold Blake; Rebecca will update and we will include in the water bills this month.  We will also advertise this in the Flyer and Republican.
  8. Update on French Drain – Mark has not had time to meet with Sellers Excavating yet; he will try to get with him next week.
  9. Update on AED Grant – We should know something this week or beginning of next from the Hendricks County Community Foundation.
  10. Update on Items for Town Marshal – Marshal Berry received his external vest and also purchased items for his go bag. He and Rebecca will also be meeting with someone tomorrow to discuss a body camera.
  11. Update on Hydrants – Rebecca stated that the hydrants that have been painted look good. Mark said that the person doing it has completed all of his community service hours so he and Kevin will be finishing them.

 

  1. NEW ITEMS:
  2. Prepare for next round of funds from INDOT – Eric Wathen was in attendance; he is helping us prepare documents for this next round of grant money. We have decided to on California Street as the next paving project.  Rebecca would also like to see if we can include work on the railings and concrete on the overpass on South California.  Mark and Eric will finalize things tomorrow and hope to have application complete by the first of the week.  The application is due by July 14th.  Eric is donating his services to us which is wonderful.  Rebecca thanked him and told him how much we appreciate his assistance.

 

 

 

July Minutes – page two

 

 

 

  1. New Sidewalks – it was decided that we will do some sidewalk replacements in three sections along State Road 236 going west of town. Mark and Kevin will do most of the labor – removing old sidewalks, etc.  It is the Council’s hope to repair/replace small sections of sidewalks around town a few each year.
  2. Trees – all of the trees that were damaged by recent storms have been taken care of.
  3. 2018 Salary Ordinance – Beth presented the Council with the 2018 Salary Ordinance. Jimmy made a motion to pass as written; Rebecca seconded.
  4. Ordinance 2017-2 – Park location. Ordinance 2017-2 was presented.  This ordinance amends the location of the park from the “West edge of town” to the “East end of town”.  Jimmy made a motion to pass on first read as written; Rebecca seconded.  Since all Council members were not present, a second reading will take place at next month’s meeting.

 

  1. REPORTS:
  2. Mark – He has received two bids on a new steel garage door on the building by the water tower. One from Superior for $1690; one from Deering for $1475.  Mark stated that he’d like to go with Deering; Council approved.  Mark stated that he decided not to get an opener because the steel door will be easier to open as it won’t be as heavy as the old door.
  3. NSPD – For the record, Rebecca presented the NSPD report for the month of June. Marshal Berry also let the Council know that his air card is not working properly but he hopes to get it all straightened out soon.
  4. Council – Jimmy presented the Council with paperwork from Tom Goode that deems his property between Ladoga Avenue and State Road 75 as a wetland. There was some discussion regarding the old equipment, etc. on the property.  We will investigate further with the County.  Rebecca asked Mark if Pam White’s driveway issue had been resolved; he said that it has and that she is happy with it.  Rebecca also stated that she would be attending an OCRA meeting in Crawfordsville next week. A couple members from the Main Street Committee expressed interest in attending as well.  Beth will also be attending.
  5. Harold Blake – No Report.
  6. Clerk-Treasurer – stated that the paperwork for the North Salem Community Fund Grant has been submitted and we should receive a check next week. We will then write a check to the recipient to close out the grant for 2017.

 

  1. PUBLIC:

None

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:39 pm.  The next Council Meeting will be August 3rd at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

 

___________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.