Nov 03 2017

Profile Image of admin

October 2017 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Posted at 8:31 am under Town Minutes

 

 

 

 

 

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

OCTOBER 5, 2017

 

  1. CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The October 5,  2017 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council Vice President Mike Russell at 6:00 pm.

 

  1. ROLL CALL:

Rebecca Compton, President – Absent                ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Present                 ______________________________________

Jimmy Roberts, Member – Present                       ______________________________________

 

  1. PLEDGE/PRAYER:

Council Vice President Mike Russell led with the Pledge of Allegiance followed by a prayer by Harold Blake.

 

  1. MINUTES:

Mike  asked if there were any additions or corrections to the September minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

 

  1. 2018 BUDGET:

The 2018 Budget was presented for adoption.  There being no comment from the public,  Jimmy  made a motion to adopt as presented; Mike seconded.

 

  1. OLD ITEMS:
  2. Update on Sidewalk Project – No results from letters sent; Jimmy made a motion to have Mark go ahead and get bids to remove tree on West Pearl Street (close to California Street); Mike seconded.    Mark will get bids on grinding the stump.  It was also decided that work would be done on the sidewalk next spring since it is so late in the year.  Jimmy also mentioned to Mark that the bricks on the sidewalk to the west of the Post Office are uneven and could pose a hazard.  Mark will try to level them out; replace with new brick now and then work on sidewalk next spring.
  3. Spotlight of Town Ordinances – It was decided resume this in November since we will already have three inserts in the October bills – Trick or Treating; Ham and Bean Supper; Fall Festival sponsored by the North Salem Revitalization Committee.
  4. Town Flag Project – We have received no new entries; deadline is October 15th.
  5. Update of Replacing Filter Media – Mark is waiting on a quote from Lane; He already has a quote from Bastin Logan. Work will be done this month.
  6. Update on Painting of the Hydrants – Mark reported that this is still in progress.
  7. New Reserve Police Officer – Everyone welcomed Ron Kneeland, now a Reserve Officer for the Town of North Salem. Beth let Council know that he is also covered on our insurance.
  8. Status of Burned Home on SR 75 – progress is being made; County is involved.
  9. Halloween – Trick or Treating was set for October 31st from 6-8 pm; Marshal Berry will again be handing out glow sticks.

 

  1. NEW ITEMS:
  2. November Ham and Bean Supper – Beth spoke with Phyllis Greason and she will again be donating Pacers Tickets for a door prize; Beth will compile a list of who will bring what as far as food, drink, etc.  Other door prizes are still a work in progress.
  3. Update on Town Garage – Mark would like to clean up the garage and use it as storage. He has stuff that he would like to get out of the Town Hall garage; it would cost too much money (over $2,000)  to add water, heat, etc., for minimal rent.  He really needs the extra storage so he and Kevin have been cleaning it up.  Jimmy made a motion to approve this; Mike R. seconded.

 

 

October 5, 2017 minutes – page two

 

 

  1. Truck Route – There was an incident involving a semi tractor trailer on McKinley Street – it hit a tree branch when trying to drive around a car parked on the street. It had just delivered materials to Smitty’s Hardware and More.  It was suggested that these semis enter and exit via Railroad Street.  Mark spoke with Amanda at Smitty’s and she said she had no problem letting  these truck drivers know to enter and exit on Railroad Street in the future.  We will see how this goes; Harold mentioned that if it does not work we could put a weight limit and signage on all Town Roads (with the exception of Ladoga; Railroad; SR 75 and SR 236.

 

  1. REPORTS:
  2. Mark –No Report
  3. NSPD – For the record, Mike presented the NSPD report for the month of September.
  4. Council – There was some discussion regarding a piece of property in town regarding weeds and tall grass; it has been mowed, however, there is a question as to whether or not this will be kept up. All further correspondence regarding this property will come directly from Marshal Berry.  There was also discussion regarding audio and video surveillance in the Town Hall; Beth will speak with Ron Kneeland further.
  5. Harold Blake – No report.
  6. Clerk-Treasurer – Beth stated that she made the trip to Martinsville Monday to accept our “check” from Governor Eric Holcomb for Road Improvements as part of the Community Crossings Grant program. INDOT says there will even be more money available for next year’s Grant Program.

 

  1. PUBLIC:

None

 

  1. ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:36  pm.  The next Council Meeting will be November 2nd  at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

 

___________________________________

Beth Russell

Clerk-Treasurer

 

No responses yet

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.