Jan 04 2014
TOWN OF NORTH SALEM
December 5, 2013
- CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The December 5, 2013 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:01 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. explained that the first part of this meeting was a Public Hearing to discuss the extraterritorial rates and charges, however, there were some mistakes made and it was necessary to continue the meeting on a new date which was set for January 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm. Rebecca made a motion to approve this date; Mike S. seconded; Council also gave Jonathan Blake the go ahead to send new notices for this meeting.
- READING OF MINUTES:
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the November Public Meeting minutes and\or the November Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- OLD ITEMS:
- Water Main Repairs\Emergency Grant – Mike S. asked Ken Smith where we stood on the Emergency Grant; Ken stated that he would like to have a construction meeting on Tuesday, December 10th and asked Mike S. and Mark Basham if they would be available. A time was set for 9:00 am.
- Water Main & Fire Hydrants – no update at this time.
- Planning Grant – this grant is in final stage. Mike S. stated that we have a contract from Municipal Civil Corporation to proceed on the findings of the Planning Grant. Before we do anything, Mike S. wants a workshop to discuss. This was set for January 9th at 6:00 pm.
- NEW ITEMS:
- Ordinance 2013-4 – Repealing old ordinance regarding regulation of firearms during declared civil emergency; This ordinance was passed on first read; Rebecca made a motion to approve as written; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. Beth will advertise.
- Mike S. made a motion to encumber any funds left over at the end of the year; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously.
- 2014 Council Meeting Dates and 2014 Holiday Dates were presented. Rebecca made a motion to approve; Mike S. seconded.
December 5, 2013 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2
- Mark – no report
- NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from the North Salem Police Department for November activities.
- Council Members – Rebecca stated that Matt at the Bank has completed the title search on the 12 acres and hopes to have the assessment completed by January 1st.
- Harold Blake – no report as he was unable to attend the meeting.
- Clerk-Treasurer – Beth presented the Council with the 2014 contract for Doug Clodfelter, Waste Water Superintendent. There was an increase of about 1%. Mike S. made a motion to accept; Mike R. seconded; motion passed unanimously. Beth then presented Council with new health insurance for 2014; our premiums actually are decreasing for 2014; Beth explained that if we went with Alternative Plan 1 (higher deductible) and added $500 each to our health savings accounts, we could save the Town around $8,000 a year. Rebecca made a motion to approve; Mike S. seconded. Lastly, Beth stated that she received her 1782 Notice and the state cut our budget for 2014 by only $312.00 all in MVH. This is great news.
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:18 pm. The next meeting will be January 2, 2014, at 6:00 pm.
Beth Russell, Clerk-Treasurer