Mar 07 2014
CALL MEETING TO ORDER:
The February 6, 2014 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.
- ROLL CALL:
Mike Selch, President – Present ______________________________________
Rebecca Compton, Vice President – Present ______________________________________
Mike Russell, Member – Present ______________________________________
Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the January 2014 Council Meeting; there being none, minutes were approved as written.
- 4. OLD ITEMS:
- Water Main Repairs\Emergency Grant – repairs have been finished; Cameron Excavating will return in the spring to install new fire hydrant and some gravel; also will re-seed and sod in the spring.
- Fire Hydrants –no update other than hydrant we are waiting on.
- Ordinances on Extraterritorial Utility Rates\Annexation – third and final reading: Rebecca made a motion to approve Ordinance 2014-1 (Sewer) as written; Mike S. seconded. Rebecca also made a motion to approve Ordinance 2014-2 (water) as written; Mike S. seconded. Beth will advertise both this month.
- 5. NEW ITEMS:
- Kelly Lieske – the Town received a written request from Kelly Lieske that a parcel of her land be annexed into the town (one that her house sits on). Based on this request, Rebecca made a motion to approve Resolution #1-2014 – Adopting a Fiscal Plan of Certain Territory to the Town of North Salem, Indiana, generally described by the town as the “Lieske Annexation Territory” as written; Mike S. seconded.
- North West Hendricks School – the Town received a written request from North West Hendricks School Corporation requesting that the North Salem Elementary School and property be annexed into the town. Based on this request, Mike S. made a motion to approve Resolution #2-2014 – Adopting a Fiscal Plan of Certain Territory to the Town of North Salem, Indiana generally described by the Town as the “North West Hendricks School Corporation Annexation Territory” – as written; Rebecca seconded.
- Ordinance 2014-3 – Annexation Lieske first read – Rebecca made a motion to approve as written; Mike S. seconded; Ordinance 2014-4 – Annexation North West Hendricks School first read – Rebecca made a motion to approve as written; Mike S. seconded.
- Timeline for Annexation was discussed and no changes made.
- Refinancing was discussed at the Council Workshop for the current USDA loans we have. We can lower our current interest rate substantially and pay off loans sooner. Mike S. made a motion to approve application for refinancing with North Salem State Bank; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously.
February 6, 2014 Council Meeting Minutes – page 2
- Application for future utilities – there was discussion about completing application for grant monies for 2015; Ken Smith stated that if he completes the application process he would like the Council to approve him as the Engineer on any project we decide. Since we are still uncertain as to what we want to apply for, Council decided to table this issue until they could discuss at a workshop which was then scheduled for February 18th at 6:00 pm.
- Discussion took place on the work that Jonathan Blake has done for the Annexation process. His initial cost estimate was $500 but the process has gone longer than anticipated and he has incurred more expense – around $1200. Mike S. made a motion to approve his expenses; Rebecca seconded.
- Mark – spoke about the recycle bins and the possibility of having only one bin that combines both plastic and cardboard. Ray’s is supposed to get back in touch with him. He also recommended to the Council that our Hook-Up fees for both water and sewer be increased. He is recommending $1,000.00 fee to hook onto water and also $1,000.00 fee to hook onto sewer. These are still very low rates. Harold will take a look on the old ordinances and will have proposed ordinances for both at next month’s meeting.
- NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from the North Salem Police Department for January activities. John also discussed how bad the car was in the winter weather and we might look into a four wheel drive vehicle for the future. He is having new tires put on in the next couple of weeks. He will also need new software for the computer in the police car.
- Council Members – Rebecca asked if anyone wanted to attend any of the Round Tables IACT is hosting this year; Beth will check dates and get back with Council. She also said that that Matt at the Bank had the appraisal on the property next to the park – it came in at $65,000.00. Rebecca will contact land owner. Mike R. stated to the Council that Mark and Doug need a new lawn mower; Mark will get pricing and report back at the March meeting. Mike S. said that the Town Website will be updated soon and that a new spam filter has been installed at a cost of $59.00.
- Harold Blake – no report.
- Clerk-Treasurer – no report.
- 7. PUBLIC:
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:00 pm. The next meeting will be March 6, 2014, at 6:00 pm.
Beth Russell, Clerk-Treasurer