Oct 04 2013

Profile Image of admin

September 5, 2013 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes

MINUTES OF

TOWN OF NORTH SALEM

COUNCIL MEETING

SEPTEMBER 5, 2013

 

 

  1.  CALL MEETING TO ORDER:

The September 5, 2013 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:00 pm.

  1.  ROLL CALL:

Mike Selch, President – Present                  ______________________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President – Present       ______________________________________

Rebecca Compton, Member – Present      ______________________________________

  1. READING OF MINUTES:

Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the August minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.

  1. OLD ITEMS:
    1.  Water Main Repairs\Emergency Grant  – Mike S. read email received from USDA.  They hope to have grant closed and pre-construction meeting by September 20th.    Ken Smith stated that he called them and said that if we could get meeting sooner we’d appreciate it.
    2. Water Main & Fire Hydrants – no update at this time.
    3. Planning Grant – Ken Smith stated that he needs to get with Mark and get arsenic testing and finalize maps.  Hope to have something by next Council Meeting.  He also stated that he did submit a USDA application for a grant for construction and Sandy is ready as well so we will be ready for next grant cycle.
    4. Clean Up Properties – No updates
    5. IACT Annual Meeting – October 6-8;  Council will look at schedules to decide what part we might attend.
    6. OFD 2013 – Gail Brown thanked Council for their cooperation and gave each Council Member a sweatshirt from the event.  She stated that it wasn’t the best festival ever but they learned a lot.  They will be making some changes and will begin planning for next year in the next couple of weeks.  Mike S. also asked the Committee Members present if they had determined a space to store OFD items so we could get our town building back.  Bob Goldsmith suggested a trailer that Leroy Smith may have.  They will work on this.
    7. Emergency Code Notifications – notices were sent with water bills last month asking customers if they would like to receive emergency notices regarding water service.  If so, they needed to provide a cell phone number for texts or an email address for notices.  We have received approximately 20 responses.  We will send notice again with September water bills.
    8. Walking Park – Rebecca stated that she received a drawing from Ken Smith for a proposed walking park by Machinery Field.  She is hoping to talk with Matt Howry at the bank and let him know what we are trying to do and incorporate this with the Bank anniversary celebration and the Bob Porter Memorial Fundraiser.

September 5, 2013 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2

 

  1.  NEW ITEMS:
    1. Town Truck  – Mark stated that he needs new tires.  Bob Goldsmith gave us a quote for $184.49 each plus $10 to mount and balance.  Mike Russell made a motion to approve; Rebecca seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.  Also, Mark stated that new flat bed could be installed for $3,100.00.  Mike R. made motion to approve; Rebecca seconded.  Motion passed unanimously.
    2. Annexation Report – Council held a brief workshop with Jonathan Blake.  Mike S. presented a proposal from Jonathan for his services to assist with Annexation project.  Mike S. made a motion to accept proposal; Rebecca seconded; motion passed unanimously.  Mike S. also stated that the Northwest Hendricks School Board voted to approve annexation for the Elementary School.  Council set a date for another Annexation Workshop.  It will be September 17th at 7:30 pm.
    3.  2014 Budget – Notice of Public Hearing was advertised; no one in attendance with any questions.  Will be adopted October 3, 2013.  There was discussion regarding repairs needed to several sidewalks in town and if there was any money in the budget for this.  Mark stated that it is the responsibility of each homeowner to maintain sidewalks and that the town pays up to $500 for concrete.  This is a written ordinance.  There was further discussion and the possibility of changing the ordinance;
    4. Council Security – Because of recent events in the news regarding town hall shootings, etc., Rebecca asked the Council if we should perhaps strengthen security during Board Meetings.  Rebecca asked that each Council member and Marshall Berry put some thoughts together.  Marshall Berry stated that he will look into what other towns do with regarding to security.
    5.  IACT Local Elected Officials Training – Mike S. spoke about this training he attended earlier this month and also presented binder he received.

 

  1. REPORTS:
    1.  Mark – no additional report.
    2. NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from Marshal John Berry for August activities.
    3. Council – no additional report.
    4. Harold – will meet with Mark and discuss bill from Vectren for gas line.
    5. Beth – no report.

 

  1.  PUBLIC:

None

 

  1.  ADJOURNMENT:

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 6:51 pm.  The next meeting will be October 3rd  at 6:00 pm.

 

Attest:

 

____________________________________

Beth Russell, Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet

« Newer Posts - Older Posts »