Archive for August, 2013

Aug 09 2013

Profile Image of admin

July 11, 2013 Town Council Meeting Minutes

Filed under Town Minutes




July 11, 2013




The July 11, 2013 Town of North Salem Council Meeting was called to order by Council President Mike Selch at 6:01 pm.




Mike Selch, President – Present                       ____________________________

Rebecca Compton, Member – Present ____________________________

Mike Russell, Vice President Present   ____________________________




Mike S. asked if there were any additions or corrections for the June minutes; there being none, minutes were approved as written.




a.  Planning Grant – Sandy Powers, Grant Administrator, had Mike Selch sign some papers.

b.  Local Legislators – Mark Dowd, a rep from Todd Rokita’s office was supposed to attend, but did not show.

c.  Water Main Repairs – Mark stated that temporary repairs were made; will fix permanently when Emergency Grant is completed.

d.  Water Tower – cleaning and painting is ongoing at this time.  Should finish up the first of the week.

e.  Town Truck\dump trailer – no update at this time.

f.  Old Fashion Days – no one present.

g.  Rebecca suggested letters for clean up for a few residents in town; they will go out in the next few weeks.  Also, she suggested a note in the water bills regarding letting residents know that it is their responsibility to keep trees trimmed that overhang in alleys and block stop signs.  Council will do a drive around in the next few days to note other properties that may need clean up notices.




a.  North Salem State Bank – Rebecca was approached about the possibility of renaming North Broadway Street to Bob Porter Street.  After much discussion, it was suggested that maybe the bank can donate money for the Town Park and thus name it the Robert Porter Memorial Park; or that they possibly rename their Building.  Rebecca will get in touch with them.

b.  North Salem Employee Policies – Beth presented the Council with a new Employee Policy Manual for the town.  This was suggested by our insurance company.  Rebecca made a motion to adopt as written; Mike S. 2nd.  Motion passed unanimously.

c.  Annexation Prep – Mike Selch stated that we need to proceed again on the possible annexation of several properties at the north end of town by and including the Elementary School.   After much discussion, Harold suggested a face to face meeting with all involved including the School Corporation Superintendent.  Mike S. agreed that he would set up a meeting with school officials.

d. 2014 Budget Development – Beth presented the Council with the 2014 Salary Ordinance.  There were no changes from the 2013 Salary Ordinance.  Rebecca made a motion to adopt as written; Mike S. seconded; motion passed unanimously.

e.  IACT Roundtable – Beth will make reservations for all to attend the IACT Roundtable in Ladoga on July 23rd.












July 11, 2013 Board Meeting Minutes – page 2



f.  SWOT – stands for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities & Threats.  This is a strategic meeting hosted by the town and facilitated by Jill Curry with OCRA (Office of Community and Rural Affairs).  Flyers will be posted around town and also given to Business owners,  We will also include flyer in July water bills.  This meeting will take place in the Town Hall July 24th at 6:00 pm.




a.  Mark – no report.

b.  NSPD – for the record Mike S. presented a report from Marshal John Berry for June activities.

c.  Council Members – Rebecca mentioned the new Emergency Notification System that Fishers now has.  They are able to send text messages and emails directly to residents when there are problems such as weather or water problems.  Participants must sign up and agree to receive texts and emails.  She wondered if this was something we could have for North Salem.  After much discussion, it was decided that Beth would contact the Clerk Treasurer of Fishers for information and costs.  John Berry will also contact Hendricks County Dispatch for information on what they are using for local fire departments, etc.

d.  Harold Blake – mentioned that he received a paper from USDA regarding a contract for legal services; Ken Smith, our Engineer, was in attendance and stated that since we are not getting a loan, not all of the paperwork is necessary.  He has submitted everything and is waiting to hear.

e.  Beth – presented Council with information on leasing or purchasing a new copier.  After much discussion, Rebecca made a motion to approve leasing the new copier beginning in 2014; Mike S. 2nd; motion passed unanimously.  Beth will have the machine for a week to see if it runs the bills correctly before we sign anything.




John spoke on behalf of the Fire Department and the need to hire someone to clean once or twice a month.  Volunteers are down and they don’t have time to keep up with this.  John asked if the Town would approve paying to have someone come in as this was done years ago when the Fire Department offices, etc., were in the Town Hall.  After much discussion, Council approved John’s request; Beth will contact the person who cleans the offices now and see if she is interested in cleaning the fire station.   If so, John will meet with her.  We will need to get a cost to include in the budget for 2014.




There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 7:02 pm.  The next Meeting will be August 1,  2013 at 6:00 pm.





Beth Russell, Clerk-Treasurer

No responses yet